LOW CARB STUFFING
- 1 loaflow-carb bread, crumbled or cut into cubes (Sami's Bakery)
- 1 T coconut or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-7 cups chopped celery - about 2 small bunches
- 1 green Bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning, such as Bells
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sea salt - start with 1/2 teaspoon, or 1 T chicken or turkey soup base (see below)
- 1 cup low sodium organic chicken broth, plus more according to moisture needed
- 1egg (if a loaf like stuffing is desired)
1) 1 - 1½ lb loaf of low-carb bread if you have access to it. Different types of bread will bring different results, so you may have to adjust the amount of liquid, seasonings, etc. Allow the bread to dry out for a while, either on the counter on in a low heat oven. It doesn't have to be totally dry, just kind of stale-level dry.
2) Sauté onion, celery, and pepper in oil until soft. Add parsley and cook for a minute or so, until wilted. Add seasonings.
3) Mix together the vegetables and the bread. Add a cup of broth, stir, and taste. Adjust seasoning and moisture. If you're going to stuff poultry with it, leave it on the dry side because it will absorb a lot of juices during cooking. You can eat it just as it is, but if you bake it, the flavors will come together better. Adding egg will make it come together in more of a melded-together form. Mix well and bake at 350 F. for about half an hour, or until browned on top.